Saturday, August 31, 2013

Memorial Bridge, Jonesy could be back, losing teams

Leaving the house early today with the sun still rising I love the drive into Washington DC over Memorial Bridge.  With very little traffic the six lanes make the bridge look bigger and give it a certain majestic, powerful feel and look sitting above the Potomac river the entryway into the nations capital.  The Lincoln Monument gets bigger and bigger directly in front of you as you cross, Arlington Cemetery gets smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror and peering over the city you see the top of the Washington Monument.  Its okay everyone I'm not writing this as  drive.

Today was a recovery session with the group that played significant minutes Friday with Dan Black our new strength and conditioning coach who has already brought some new ideas to the program to help us better prepare and recover for games this Fall.  The rest of the lads did a quick 15 minutes of speed work with the ball and finished with a 12 minute small sided game.  It was a chance for me to make my debut this season in practice and despite having Irizarry ready to replace me after a brief cameo appearance it was enough time for me to get a goal and leave my team in the lead and Irizarry would enter.  Just a brief note on my goal, not sure if Farrell saw it but the placement into the corner was precise enough that to even dive would have been worthless.

On a day when all the teams I supported lost including Southampton, I attended the GW volleyball game only to see them lose and my last chance of some success was late tonight watching DC United on TV v New York only to see them miss a PK to tie the game and losing 2-1.  Just like us tomorrow all those teams will be looking to bounce back next game.  For us its going to be a physical encounter against Howard and after watching them defend valiantly only to concede a game winning penalty against Mason in the 86th minute I know we're in for a battle.  The last few years we've always had close games with Howard and they have the players and athleticism to cause any team trouble on their day a credit to Coach Lawrence.

Raise High Moment of the Day
Its a close call between:
1. My goal in practice
2. The guys finding the bag of balls we lost (left on the van)
Gotta give it to number 1, number 2 was more a relief than a Raise High Moment

No comments:

Post a Comment