Thursday, August 29, 2013

Aug 28 Back to Practice - "I Had a Dream"

 I thought I'd never get into the city today with the road closures this morning for the March On Washington anniversary events.  I was not alive 50 years ago never mind our players but I'm sure they have all listened to, read, may have partaken in events today, remembering that famous day 50 years ago that Martin Luther King Jr's  "I have a Dream Speech" gave hope to millions during the Civil Rights Movement.  This is another example of what makes GW unique living in Washington DC and the great opportunities, events and history that you can be a part of. #onlyatgw

Onto Practice and after 2 days off for the players it was back to the field getting ready for our season opener Friday. (Not that I'm getting lazy but there will be limited blogging during our players off days, not that I will be off personally {violin playing} but just so I don't disappoint my every growing readers I wanted to let you know)

Back to practice.  After the off days the guys were ready to play and looked sharp physically but were a little slow mentally getting back into things.  A technical warm up by Irizarry followed by myself leading the team through some attacking play.  Coaching can be frustrating when you keep seeing the same mistakes over and over no matter how little they are.  The higher up the soccer food change you get the big difference between the top players and okay guys is their mental application to the game.  Physically, technically, tactically there is very little to differentiate players but how players prepare, see the game on the field and their concentration for 90 minutes is distinguishing factor.  (if I was playing scrabble I've just used 2 words over 10 letters starting with D in that last sentence)

With the session finishing with a 11v 11 game it was good to see the guys playing and playing with smiles on their faces.  Its a game and when you stop having fun playing it theres a problem. 

Raise High Moment of the Day
Getting stuck in a Motorcade on Foggy Bottom.  No matter how many times its happened to me I still enjoy sitting in my car waiting for the numerous police motorcycles, cars, black SUV's and finally some limos with the presidents flag on followed by more police motorcycles, cars, black SUV's and when they've all passed you're allowed to move again.  Its like playing the longest game of musical statues. #onlyatgw

No comments:

Post a Comment