Thursday, September 6, 2012

Welsh Weather and Wizardry

After Tuesdays session I felt the players were back to the intensity that we expected for yesterdays session.  I enjoyed working with our defensive players on some shape and ball movement when Coaches Irizarry and Felix took the offensive players and worked on some areas there.  Overall it was an improved performance but still there is room for improvement which is okay.

Looking to increase the tempo and energy at practices over the years I always think of some old cliches I was told:
Every time you cross the line onto the field you have to be ready to play.
You have to practice like you want to play on the weekend (in games).
You have to get something out of every session.
They seem so simple and obvious but sometimes these little reminders can help with the day to day development of a player.

On to today and our last practice before we leave for the VMI tournament this weekend.  As I walked onto the field I was greeted with some lovely Welsh weather which made me feel at home.  The constant drizzle reminded me of my playing days as a youth and how I would dribble past 8 defenders before scoring.  Just kidding, it reminded me that a rain jacket would help on days like these.  The session went well and the slick surface allowed us to move the ball quickly and attack at pace with numbers which was a joy to watch.

Sports Psychology has always interested me and I recently started reading a book called "Soccer Tough"  People have different views on the mental side of the game and how much you can use it with your teams.  I am a believer that training your mind whether it be through imagery, meditation, routine can certainly help and some players more than others.  This takes me back to my last paragraph and the thought of me dribbling past 8 defenders.  Whether or not if happened doesn't matter.  Having the imagination to create it, believe it and take it to the field certainly put me in a good mood and lifted my confidence to play.

Tomorrow I will give you my weekend preview but until then, close your eyes and imagine you are beating 8 defenders and scoring, it feels good.  (Messi probably dreams 10 defenders)

Magic Moment of the Day
The beautiful morning weather

1 comment: