Friday, October 25, 2013

Post Game Blog Awesome Win

After getting in late last night it would have been nice to get a sleep in till 930am with a late breakfast at 10am but with 2 kids the body clock wakes me at 7am latest everyday.  It was another restless night for me in our hotel in Rhode Island I got to sleep late, woke early and made the most of it by getting up and getting the day going.  Finalizing my notes for the pre game talk and meeting and returning all emails and catching up on the daily news I was ready for breakfast at 10am.

After our 12.30 stretch and study hall I had some time to kill before our pregame meal at 3pm.  After trying to find a nice route for my usual game day jog I was disappointed that most roads had no pavements and without wanting to risk it I decided to get my    miles in on the tread mill at the mini gym in the hotel.  Got to be honest the 40 degree weather outside had a major part to play in me running indoors today.  Feeling refreshed after the workout it was onto the pre game meal and pre game talk and kick off got closer and closer.

After leaving the hotel for the very short trip to the field the weather man certainly got his/her forecast right as the cold air hit us as we left the bus.  With an estimated temperature at kickoff of 40 degrees some of of guys felt at home notably our Icelandic and UK contingent and probably the majority of our east coast guys except Adewole. 

First half started with URI coming out strong supported by their home fans for the first time this season in the A10 and looking for their first conference win.  We on the other hand started the game slowly and all credit to URI they never allowed us to get out of the funk and continued to put us under pressure.  Their opening goal after just 15 minutes was well worked and we found ourselves on the back foot for most of the first half and to be quite honest I was happy to see the half time whistle and be only one goal behind.

Second half we started better but still struggled to complete that final pass or serve to really create any clear cut opportunities.  As the half wore on we were well in control of possession but were still looking for that equalizer which I thought would never come.  I have to credit my assistant Coaches for some ingenious decisions with players as the game wore on and we threw everything at them to try and score.  Taking their advice the decision to put Tobi Adewole higher up field paid off as with just 40 secs left he rose above everyone at the far post after a super delivery from Hinners to head home the equalizer.  We were once again in overtime and my word, this game is making me grey this season.

The first half of OT came and went with no significant chances for either team so it was on to the second period and the hope we could finally win a game in OT.  A long ball over the top from Adewole to find Eddie Painter on his run was collected on the bounce and with probably still 30 yards to goal and a lot of work to do to score it finally came.  Just as the URI defender drew level with Painter in the box he faked and cut back onto his left foot and just when I thought the chance was over struck the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards out.  Absolute pandemonium ensued with the bench cleared to race to get to Eddie first and celebrate a great road win and one that I will remember for a long long time.  I've been waiting for a chance to pull a Jose Mourinho and slide on my knees in celebration and tonight was the night.  Well done to the players on a great team performance

Raise High Moment of the Day
Both goals today giving us the Win

No comments:

Post a Comment