Thursday, October 3, 2013

Family Dinner / Alumni Event

After being on the road for last weeks game I unfortunately missed most of the University Alumni events but this weekend we have our annual Fall alumni event.  An alumni world cup 6v6 tournament followed by GW v Robert Morris game and an evening reception/ happy hour make is a great Saturday for all involved.  For me its a chance to catch up with my fellow alumni but also to showcase the team who now proudly wear the GW uniform.  For the players it will be an opportunity to talk to others who have walked in their steps previously and get a glimpse into the successes they can expect after college when they graduate.  The usual banter will be in play with alums telling how hard they had it, how things have changed and how lucky the current players are with the facilities and resources they have today both athletically and academically.  If the players can take anything away from the day I hope its is the connection and great memories these alumni bring but most importantly how fast their time will go and to play every game like its your last.  I realized that too late and before you know it, its all over and your college career rolls into an alumni career.  I hope when this happens for our current players they have no regrets and can look back and know that they gave everything they had and hopefully can wear a championship Ring or two, three, four back every year.

Enough of the sentimental chat.  Practice was good again today and I'm still trying to gauge how that will play out for our games on the weekend.  I see players who don't practice that well during the week but bring it for the games, players who practice great all week but cant quite find that form in the game that weekend its a mystery I'd love to solve.  One things for sure, the only thing you can control is your effort.  Passing maybe off, shooting maybe off, tackling maybe off but give me 100% and I can accept that.  We all have bad days I just hope that we have more good days than bad.

Haven't even mentioned what we did in practice today but I feel there's no need to do so, we're working hard and improving our strengths and limiting our moments for weakness so one more session tomorrow and its game day.  The weather is meant to be awesome on Saturday so I hope to see a great crowd and give them a game to remember.

Raise High Moment of the Day
Sushi night with my number 1 fan and daughter Cerys, my always supportive wife Liz and the Kraken, Dylan tearing up the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment