Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sun Block / Goals Galore

Today was another scorching day in DC and a double coat of the sunblock for the third day running in this heatwave for what has seemed even hotter than when we were in preseason.  The forecast for the game Saturday is much cooler and even as I was driving home today a heavy storm had hit the city.  It was dark at 5pm due to the heavy rain clouds waiting to open and when they did I was caught driving with little visibility due to the heavy rain and it was a challenging ride home.

On to practice and with the game on Saturday it was a chance to work the guys at a fairly high workload knowing tomorrow would be a lighter session.  Wanting to work on some areas from the games this past weekend we went straight into a 11v11 set up after our technical warmup.  It was a good session for the repetition of plays that we needed to work on and also a chance for our guys to open their lungs and play full speed going to goal.  Both teams scored a wonderful goal one from Higgins after great build up and McQuitty who created the goal for himself after latching onto a long ball and dispatching it into the net.

We finished with some shooting and from what I saw it was a day that Heine definitely had his shooting boots on as he scored goal after goal showing a range of finishing that was superb but unfortunately still wasn't enough for his team to win the overall competition.  It was great to see so many guys staying behind post practice to hit some extras balls and work with the staff on individual pieces of the game and I hope they are rewarded this weekend in the game.  For me I almost broke some part of my body as I ran onto a cross from Forrest only to come down on another ball that was on the field and took a tumble.  Not sure if I was in shock afterwards that it happened or whether I was shocked I hadn't hurt anything.  Either way I'm lucky it turned out okay and another reminder that I'm not as sprightly as I used to be.

Raise High Moment of the Day
Apologies if I missed any other contenders for goal of the session but Garret Heine did bend one into the top corner to win the round for his team

No comments:

Post a Comment