Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Family Shout Outs

Apologies to my millions, maybe just a handful, of my blog readers for the past couple of days silence and no updated news from GW.  I have to make the excuse that I have been extremely busy and whilst I enjoy writing the blog at the end of the day at home late at night I have been finding myself putting Cerys to bed and falling to sleep also.  NOT today, a cup of coffee after a very late lunch/early dinner has given me the energy to stay awake beyond 10.30pm so lets hope I have something exciting to tell you?

After the split weekend in opening A10 play we were off from practice on Monday for a much needed rest and treatment day for the players.  Coach Irizarry and I reviewed the video from the weekend and the disappointment of losing is helped by getting a night to absorb what you think happened on Sunday and then seeing there were many positives from the loss that we will take to practice this week. Then it was a rainy night in Rockville to watch a High School game as we look for the next GW Colonials.  At this point I would like to thank my wife Liz for understanding my mood swings and putting up with me during the season.

With 2 days down of practice this week the group have looked refreshed and despite what is a busy academic time for the guys the energy and enthusiasm has not diminished on the practice field.  News today that Shaban will need a face mask to possibly play this weekend after a confirmed nose fracture has me thinking of Phantom of the Opera and the possibility that he will sing the national anthem before the games this weekend donned in face mask and GW cloak.

I believe that you have to push yourself as a coach to make sure that each practice is a little bit different.  Even when addressing the same themes/topics there has to be some part that is new and engaging and keeps the session from becoming routine and mundane for the players. (not sure if thats the correct use of mundane here but I'm going with it)  Its a challenge that I take into every session and planning becomes stealing and using others ideas that I have watched to put my own spin on and make it better.  I can feel the players enjoying practice and thats the best part of my job.

Before I end the blog I want to share the words of my good friend Ian Jones who I know stole this from someone else "Trying is looking good while failing, those that win never say they tried, but those that failed do"

Magic Moment of the Past Few Days
Dylans laughter and not knowing why he's laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment